Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Music Is Creatve -- The 3rd Winter Mini-debate 冬季第3のミニ討論 (updated)

Proposition: Music is creative. [very lightly edited]

Pro:
Music is creative because writing the lyrics and songs takes imagination. So it's creative.
Con:
I don't think music is creative. If you have two different poems along with the same music, you will feel they are the same.
Pro:
Different people can imagine various things, and when I listen to songs of many genre, for example, classical music, Japanese popular music, western music, and so on, they let me feel many different feelings.
Con:
I think music is not creative, for example, enka (演歌). Because when I listen to enka it is not exciting. It doesn't excite me.
Pro:
I think music is creative, for example, song writers always use their imagination to make songs. They put in their feelings, such as sad, happy, angry, and so on.
Con:
Playing the instruments just following on the musical score is not interesting and not creative.
[I think the students were pretty creative, so I don't want to "fix" their sentences. But they need to study for the tests, so the following is edited heavily to match standard American English:]

Pro:
Music is creative because writing lyrics and songs takes imagination.
Con:
But if you set two different poems to the same music, you they will feel the same. So I don't think it's very creative.
Pro:
Different people imagine different things when they listen to the same song. And when I listen to songs of many genre, classical music, Japanese popular music, western music, and so on, I feel many different feelings.
Con:
I think some music is not creative, enka (演歌), for example. When I listen to enka it is not exciting. It doesn't excite me at all.
Pro:
But song writers always use their imagination to write songs. And they put their feelings in the songs -- sadness, happiness, anger, and so on.
Con:
But playing instruments just following a musical score is neither interesting nor creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that others can read your comments.