Saturday, November 2, 2013

Want-ads -- 「三行広告」 (updated)

Here is my example want ad:


Almost Antique Macintosh

68030 model -- needs a new home. Performa 550 with Japanese Mac OS 7.6, 32MB RAM and coprocessor. Free for the shipping charges.
Call 06-5XXX-4XXX.
---

Hmm. 「三行広告」 But more than 3 lines.

How should we translate "Want-ad"?  「要求広告」?  「欲求広告」?  Or the confusing pronunciation --  「ウォントアド」?

;-)

Note that want-ad grammar is cut down. "Be" verbs are mostly dropped, and there is a lot of abbreviation, reliance on short idiom, and assumptions of understanding. Converting my example to normal English results in something like this:

[My] 68030 model [Macintosh] needs a new home. [It's a] Performa 550 with Japanese Mac OS 7.6, 32 Mb of RAM, and a [math] coprocessor. [I will give it] free [to anyone who is willing to pay] for the shipping charges.



Here are some of your want-ads, cleaned up a bit, and personal details mostly removed/substituted. (I forgot which one I was supposed to leave out, but I think I've removed enough detail that it should be okay.)



Math Teacher
Very kind math teacher wanted to teach me math with clear explanations.
Good knowledge of math needed.
Call Samantha at ___-____-____.
---

I think this one doesn't need much explanation.



<NEED FRIENDS!!!!>
Looking for new friends who can speak English and Japanese, to teach me English and share my interest in Korean pop. Fan of super junior.
If you can be my friend, please follow my twitter @________ and talk with me there!!

---

Note that "Fan of super junior" refers both to the advertiser and the sought friend.




Come to our school festival!
Sat Nov 2: 10a.m.-4p.m.
Osaka Sensible Girls' High School.
Come enjoy food, dance, games, and other activities with us!
Details on web www.~~~~~.ne.jp


Version 1:

Used suitcase
Large, black. Needs new owner.
Please call Julia at ___-____-____

Version 2:
A MUST FOR ANY TRAVELER!
My old, roomy suitcase needs a new owner.
Black, not heavy.
Just right for your next trip!
Please call Julia at ___-____-____
---
Note that the second version is deliberately not abbreviating.



NEED USED BOOKS
SCHOOL RECYCLING PROJECT.
PLEASE DONATE UNNEEDED BOOKS.
CALL ___-____-____.



BASKETBALL TEAM
Seeking highly motivated players.
Helpful captain, friendly teammates.
Practicing in large, well-equipped gym.
Call ___-____-____.



You all did very nice work. Again, my apologies that I took this long getting this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that others can read your comments.